Monday, January 4, 2010

Author's Pick for Custom Gaming PC: Velocity Micro

If budget is not a problem for you when you're building a custom gaming PC, Velocity Micro is a good option.  This company designs sleek, custom-built computers for high intensity gaming.  Their prices tend to be on the higher end, but if you plan a good, solid build, you can get a great deal from this company.

I've read a lot of mixed reviews about them, and I won't say I haven't had my share of problems with the laptop I got from them.  However, I didn't want to get another Dell laptop - my old one had overheating problems from the get go, and still does to this day.  Of course it's also about 4 years old and has seen a lot of use.

Velocity Micro offers custom gaming laptops and desktops; so far I can only comment on their laptops.  The typical experience of their desktop consumers seems to be a rocky start (bluescreens and random OS issues in the beginning), and then once they get up and running, they're great systems.  My own experience with the customer service of VM was good.  I had a fan issue and talked to someone who got me a replacement part within just a few days. 

The one problem is the lack of testing they do on these PCs after they're built.  Dell is pretty thorough about that from what I understand, and I've never had any bluescreen issues with Dell PCs after getting them.  VM PCs pretty much come freshly built, so the possibilities of having problems from the start are higher.  Prepare to do some testing and allow for testing and setup time if you order a desktop from them.  That said, the laptop I got had no issues from the start, though I'm now running into some overheating problems which seem to be common amongst laptops in general.

Bottom line for Velocity Micro systems? 4/5 stars.  I like their website and how easy it is to put together a good system.  Their prices are a little higher, but I can deal with that since it means getting a good system that will last several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment